BREAKFAST PROTEIN MUFFINS
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 4.5 Tbsp Hot Water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/2 banana
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 scoops vanilla protein powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup oats
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- Optional: ½ cup minced apple
- Preheat an oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare the flaxseed by mixing it with the hot water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a separate bowl, mash ½ of the ripe banana, add olive oil, then add these to the flaxseed mixture.
- Add maple syrup, yogurt, salt, baking soda and cinnamon to the flaxseed mixture until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the protein powder, oats and flour to the mixture to form the batter. If the batter is too thick, try adding a small amount of milk to thin it out. Note: batter consistency will vary with protein powders.
- Put the mixture into 12 muffin tins and top with minced apple and chopped almonds. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool for at least 10 minutes after baking.
The muffins can be cooked in advance and then stored or frozen. Simply reheat frozen muffins in a microwave on busy mornings when you need a quick breakfast option.