The word ‘pie’ often conjures up feelings of a dirty food that is often served at football games and service stations. If you like pie but feel it is not synonymous with the word ‘healthy’, you should give this recipe a go. Pie is best served in winter and the following Spinach & Ricotta version is no exception. Along with the tasty ricotta, there is stacks of spinach, garlic, dill and parsley to help keep your taste buds and immune system happy this winter. Give it a go:
• 1 packet ready rolled puff pastry sheets, room temperature
• 1 large white onion
• 1 clove garlic
• 500g packet frozen spinach, thawed
• 500g fresh ricotta cheese
• 2 tbsp fresh dill
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley
• 5 tbsp pine nuts
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Pinch salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 220°C.
2. Take out the spinach and use your hands and a paper towel to remove excess liquid.
3. Then ready your other ingredients; lightly crush the pine nuts, dice the onions and chop finely the garlic, dill and parsley.
4. In a fry pan with a little olive oil sauté the onions with the garlic.
5. In a 7×11 inch glass baking dish lay a sheet of baking paper and then begin to lay down the puff pastry sheets. Edge with fingers for decoration.
6. In a bowl combine all ingredients including salt and pepper. Mix well.
7. Then spread the mixture into the baking dish with a spoon and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden.